Monday, July 11, 2011

Toddle Along Tuesday/ School Update

Welcome if you are new reader from the Follow Along Tuesday blog hop! Hope you enjoy your stay!



So school... I feel like it has been years since I was in class and thinking academically. But really it was just three months ago. I use to not be able to remember times before I was pregnant and now I am struggling to remember times pre-baby.

Summer is slowly ending and I am needing to get into the school mind set, I mean I only have two semester left and I have this measly thesis to write. And I am terrified. And the fear of actually having to write it is making me not think about it at all. Which is bad, really bad.

So this past week I have forced myself to actually think about it, remember how I said I can't remember anything pre-baby. I struggled to remember the last meeting I had with my adviser and what my thesis was going to focus on (not only could I not remember I couldn't even find my notes about it). Umm, that's not good, but finally I did remember. So now I need to actually start some basic research that I should have been doing these past three months. But how am I suppose to do that when I have a cute baby to cuddle with? This is why I am terrified of writing this thing, I am already doubting myself. And I don't believe I can finish it, when I can, I will, I must, but this voice in my head is really not helping the situation.

So the thesis, what is it actually going to be about? It has taken a year to whittle down to a tangible subject, that I can actually research and address. I have these lofty ideas and plans and then realize they are so much more than a thesis. And all these ideas stem back to the food system and food politics. I am a little obsessed with the current food system and all its wrong doings. And there is so much I could talk about and rant about. I am too passionate about too many topics within this broad subject which is why I was having such a hard time deciding on a thesis topic. Really I just had to get over it and decide on something and stick with it, so that I can finish this thing by next April.

So... I am going to research food deserts in Denver. "A food desert is any area in the industrialised world where healthy, affordable food is difficult to obtain. It is prevalent in rural as well as urban areas and is most prevalent in low-socioeconomic minority communities, and is associated with a variety of diet-related health problems.[1] Food deserts are also linked with supermarket shortage."

To do this I plan to use some GIS (a thing I somewhat loath) and show land use changes over time in Denver, in hopes that it will show how markets have become less accessible over time. Meaning, most of the population in Denver does not have a market, grocery store, etc they can easily walk to. Because lets face it, not everyone has a car or easy access to public transportation.

So, there is my long and wordy update about school, I will try and post more about it as I continue to research more.

2 comments:

  1. Following! Here from Toddle Along Tuesday!

    I'd love a follow back

    http://brookiesbabybargains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! New follower...

    And I totally feel you pain. I really struggled writing my thesis. But - I had no excuse as I didn't have my sweet boy to distract me! I just had to buckle down and eventually I did it.

    Good luck! I have no practical advice for you. :)

    ReplyDelete