Sunday, October 21, 2012

18 months

It has been 18 months and we are still nursing.  I am pretty proud of it.  Leland has never needed formula or cow's milk thankfully.  I am quite surprised with how easy our experience has been overall.  He never had latching issues, I have never had supply issues, it really is all surprising and wonderful.  He nurses 3-5 times a day still.  He always nurses when he wakes up, before nap and before bed time.  Then it really varies how often and when he nurses at night.

Right now my goal is to get to 2 years and see what happens.  This goal has changed, since it was first 6 weeks, then 6 months, then 1 year.  But really after the first 6 weeks it has been much easier.  If anyone is wanting to breastfeed, I tell them give it 6 weeks before giving up.  By then you will have a routine down, your supply is somewhat normal (even if your boobs are ginormous) and your child has gotten a latch down.

I hope that with future children the experience can be just as wonderful.  It is really nice to still lay down with Leland at these times of the day and have him just be still.  It is also nice not having to buy a gallon of milk a week.  With my hopes of making it to 2 years is that I can bypass the cow milk ordeal completely.

It would be nice to be done nursing so I could really do whatever I want, when I want.  But I want him to be ready.  He has always led the way in how much he nurses and how often, the decreased in frequency has been him wanting less versus me slowly weaning him.

Here is to 6 more months. 

1 comment: