Friday, February 4, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

I have been getting in a rut for breakfast.  I find something I like and I stick with it, maybe for a little too long.  For a while it was yogurt and granola, then it switched to toast and eggs.  I have now moved onto baked oatmeal with some eggs.  And this baked oatmeal is so good, I think it is better than regular oatmeal.  This is also good because you can make the whole batch and then reheat as much as you need each morning with a little milk  or yogurt and it is jut as good as when you first made it.

This recipe comes from Two Peas and their Pod, a really good cooking blog.  I did adapt the recipe a bit for how I like my oatmeal. 

2 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup light brown sugar coconut sugar ( I have been using coconut sugar instead becuase it has a lower glycemic level than other sugars and for these other reasons
2 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups skim milk whole milk
1/2 cup applesauce yogurt
1 tablespoon melted butter coconut oil
2 egg whites 1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced (the peel is where a lot of nutrients are)
I also added in these following ingredients:
1 Tbls ground flax seed
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup raisins


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8 by 8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, butter, egg whites, and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until combined. Gently stir in diced apples. Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared pan.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until oatmeal is golden brown and set. Remove from oven and serve warm. Add additional toppings to baked oatmeal, if desired.
Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment