I love falafel. I have tried it from many different places and this is the best I have ever had. A close second is Garbanzo. But anyway this is was so good because it was so fresh and the insides were so green, which is how it should be. So hopefully you will get motivated and try this recipe yourself sometime. We happen to have a fry daddy so we used this to fry them in instead of a pan. We then stuffed a pita with lettuce, cucumber, falafel and tzatziki. I would have liked to have some hummus and tomatoes but I refuse to by tomatoes from Mexico. And the hummus, well it did not turn out, it was the worst batch made in the Stilley house thus far, so it went in the trash.
Heath always thinks he should be able to try our food, even though he doesn't care unless there is cheese or meat involved.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- 1 (6 ounce) container plain yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber - peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- In a large bowl mash chickpeas until thick and pasty; don't use a blender, as the consistency will be too thin. In a blender, process onion, parsley and garlic until smooth. Stir into mashed chickpeas.
- In a small bowl combine egg, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon juice and baking powder. Stir into chickpea mixture along with olive oil. Slowly add bread crumbs until mixture is not sticky but will hold together; add more or less bread crumbs, as needed. Form 8 balls and then flatten into patties ( this really makes a lot more than this).
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties in hot oil until brown on both sides.
- In a small bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Chill for at least 30 minutes ( we froze it).