Monday, December 17, 2012

The unknown

Everyone had a reaction to the Sandy Hook shootings.  If you are a parent, you were struck with grief and horrible sadness for parents not having their children to hold anymore.  It is unimaginable what they are going through and how they will be able to carry on with life.

As for my reaction, it worries me that schools are not entirely safe.  They are suppose to be safe and should be safe; a place you can take your child to learn, not to be bullied or shot at.  Events that happen, ones that are awful and make you question humanity, make me want to hide away in a mountain cabin.  With hopes I could at least protect my family and myself there.

But that is the crazy thing.  You never know what will happen.  The unknown drives me crazy at times because there is no way to factor for it.  As a parent, the unknown constantly has me about to snap.  You can be there for your child, make them dinner and breakfast, read them books, put them to bed.  But you can never fully protect them from everything because there are unknown and unpredictable factors that can always happen.  Rare illnesses, car accidents, etc.  These tings happen everyday and you can only hope it isn't you or your child.

So for me overcoming this new unknown is going to be challenging.  I guess I just have to be thankful for what I have each and everyday and try not to take it for granted.  So that if the unknown finally catches up to me, I will know I did my best and loved my child the best I could.  Because I don't know what else I can do.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent meg.... very well put. Snuggle Leland for us too! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have same reaction and response as Jenny. There has always been the unknown; about all we can do is cherish every moment and day with our loved ones. Speaking for myself, faith in a loving God helps a great deal. Hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete