Source: Simply Recipes
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
- 1/2 pound of carrots
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk (or add a teaspoon of lemon juice to regular milk and allow to stand for 10 minutes)
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cup of
vegetable oilapplesauce (I refuse to use oil in baking, so I always replace it with applesauce or butter)
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons of ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Toast the walnuts in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Rinse the carrots and peel the rough skins off, then grate the carrots.
- Place the carrots, buttermilk, oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and orange zest together in a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- In another bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon.
- Fold the flour mixture into the carrot mixture, being sure not to overmix. Fold in the toasted walnuts and coconut until evenly incorporated.
- Scoop into cupcake papers about 1/2 to 3/4 full and bake for 19-21 minutes at 350F, being sure to rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes of baking. Afterward allow to cool for 5 minutes before taking the cupcakes out of the cupcake tin and allowing them to fully cool on a wire rack. Frost cooled cupcakes.
- Makes 12 cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz of Philadelphia cream cheese
- 3/4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon