Friday, March 5, 2010

Apple Oatmeal Whole Wheat Muffins

Lately I have been hungry, like all the time.  It is getting a little out of hand, so I am trying to find good, healthy snacks.  And hopefully they will help me keep full for a longer period of time.  Besides fresh fruit and veggies, I am trying to consume more nuts, my current fav. are pistachios.  But I found this recipe and it seemed pretty healthy so I made it and this muffins are so good.

 
Just look at them, they even look tasty. Anyway, here is the recipe.

Makes 12 servings
Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon (or more, if you like)
1/3 cup sugar (dry) 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
1/2 banana, mashed
1/3 cup applesauce (no sugar added!)
3/4 cup soy milk (plain or vanilla work well) unsweetened original almond milk
1 apple (make sure it's baking safe) I use Pink Lady
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped into chunks
Directions
  •  Set oven to 350 degrees.
  • Dice your apple so it's ready to be put in (I like 1/2" chunks).
  • Thoroughly mix dry ingredients (oats through sugar) in a large bowl.
  • Mix the mashed banana, applesauce, and soymilk (I do the banana and applesauce first, then kind of whip in the soymilk).
  •  Mix the wet into the dry and toss in the nuts and apples (quickly!)
  • The batter should be rising, very fluffy and wet. Scoop it into a greased muffin tray.
  • Bake for about 15 minutes, but try to take out as soon as they look done (over cooking makes them a little bit harder, but still just as tasty).
  • Cool If you let them cool before you eat one, they're much easier to get out of the pan.

Read more: http://caloriecount.about.com/apple-oatmeal-whole-wheat-muffin-recipe-r1324#ixzz0hMDBHWOj


I also added some ground flax meal to make it a little more healthier. 

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I have printed out some of the recipes you've posted on your blog (not green, I know, but I did print them on the backs of previously used paper). And I intend to get ingredients needed for the muffins and the lentil soup this afternoon so I can make both of them soon. Looking forward to the yumminess. So post some more recipes & recommendations.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete